Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thanksgiving – What does it mean to you?

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?  From turkey dinners, to family gatherings and pumpkin pies.  It’s the one time of year we celebrate the end of a harvest season and give thanks to those and gratitude for the blessings in our life.

An interesting thing happened this year during our Thanksgiving dinner and I’d like to share my story with you.

It was Thanksgiving Day at the Skinner home, and as we all sat down together at the table (my family of 5, plus Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents).  The kids of course, always seem to be the last ones to find their way to the table.  Our 8 year old son (Eddie) sat down at the table and immediately asked all of us to share what we were most thankful for.  He insisted that EVERYONE had to share something.  I looked around at their faces and could see some people where wondering ‘what am I going to say?’

From being thankful for new family members, time spent with one another, our health, and the food we were eating.  Everyone shared their thoughts and some people started to get a little emotional and teary eyed.  It’s amazing how a simple question from an 8 year old had unintentionally made us all sit back and really think!

A week or so later, I am still thinking about what we shared that day and how I am thankful for each and every one of my family members. We all could have laughed him off, not wanting to put ourselves ‘out there’ – but we didn’t.  I am so thankful that we had the courage to talk that day.  I loved the look on my son’s face – the pride he had, and that he sat a little bit taller in his chair that night. 

Yes, for some Thanksgiving is about turkey dinners, pumpkin pies and a day off of work.  For me, Thanksgiving is about the day my 8 year old boy spoke up at the table and got us all thinking…and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment